[llvm-dev] RFC: Strong GC References in LLVM

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 07:45:11 PDT 2016

Joining in very late, but the tangent here has been interesting (if
rather OT for the original thread).

I agree with Danny that we might want to take a close look at how we
model things like maythrow calls, no return, and other implicit control
flow.  I'm not convinced that moving to a pure explicit model is the
right idea because we get a lot of gain in practice from being able to
reason about what are essentially a limited form of extended basic
blocks.  I would welcome a design discussion about this, preferably in
person, but also don't want to block any current (or future honestly)
work on this until we have a reasonable firm plan of action.

One idea would be to explicitly acknowledge that our "basic blocks" are
actually "extended basic blocks" with internal exits due to exception
propagation, noreturn, and (recently) guards.  I could see a couple of
implementation strategies here:
1) Extend BasicBlock to explicitly track potential early exiting
instructions.  This would probably have to be conservative so that
things like nothrow inference aren't required to update all callers in
one go.
2) Conservative assume that BasicBlock has an unknown number of early
exiting instructions and write an analysis pass which answers questions
about where those early exits are.  Any pass which does code motion
would require this analysis.  (This is essentially the principled
version of our current hacks.)

Philip