[llvm-dev] A "Java Backend"

Lorenzo Laneve via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 04:04:16 PDT 2016

Passing through LLVM IR would enable LLVM to apply its optimizers and, as I said, I know that creating a custom standalone backend could be easier, but enabling LLVM to translate to Bytecode would enable all of its frontends to do it.
I know that it might be quite hard to treat Java or .NET as LLVM targets, but could this be a challenge? Let LLVM IR be compiled to Bytecode and CLI, which are higher level than our IR.