[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Justin Bogner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 21 00:19:10 PDT 2016

Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 11:51 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I do `git log` in a sparse checkout that just has LLVM, will it
>>> only show me LLVM commits? That is, how easy is it to filter out the
>>> clang/lldb/subproject-X commits from a log? Negative globs are kind
>>> of awkward.
>>
>>  It is extremely easy (even with a full checkout): `git log llvm/`
>
> To be clear, this is with a layout like:
> https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project

Right - I was assuming a layout where the subprojects are already in the
places they need to be checked out to. With llvm-project's layout my
question is silly.

llvm-project's layout is kind of annoying, since with that I have to
check out all of the repos yet I still need to add symlinks or something
to actually use any of them. It also means that anyone who is only using
llvm has to change their paths from /path/to/llvm to /path/to/llvm/llvm,
which is a little bit ugly.