[llvm-dev] GitHub Hooks

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 19 13:27:11 PDT 2016

So, there's been a bit of a misunderstanding about the hooks that are
supported in GitHub, and after talking to the GitHub staff, I'd like
to clarify what they are and how we can use them.

  1. Pre-commit hooks, avoiding forced pushes / re-order

GitHub doesn't support server hooks due to security concerns.

But there is an alternative:

https://help.github.com/articles/about-required-status-checks/

I don't know how we'd check for non-ff-merges with this, and I'd
appreciate if someone with better GitHub knowledge could chime in. But
they *do* stop pushes from going in, which is what we want. Maybe we
would need a web-service (see 2) to get this working.

How does Swift solve this? Do we really need a linear history on the
projects, or just on the umbrella project?

 2. Post-commit umbrella updates

We can use webhooks:

https://developer.github.com/webhooks/

This would hit some webpage / buildbot and make them update the
llvm-projects (with sub-modules) via git.

We'd be required to maintain a piece of web service somewhere, but the
maintenance of that web-service will be a lot less than the current
SVN/Git servers.

 3. Post-commit email, for review/history

We can use email Webhooks:

https://help.github.com/articles/managing-notifications-for-pushes-to-a-repository/

This would be enabled on all projects except the umbrella, so we can
continue to make post-commit review.

I believe 2 and 3 should be reasonably easy to set up, but I'm not
sure about 1. It looks like it could work, but this is really a GitHub
thing more than a Git thing.

Any ideas?

cheers,
-renato