[llvm-dev] RFC: Strong GC References in LLVM

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 15 14:54:42 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Sanjoy Das <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com>
wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >     Don't we have the same problems for "exit(0)"
> >

> > This is a noreturn call, so yes, iit has another hidden control
> > flow-side-effect of a slightly different kind. GCC models it as an extra
> > fake edge from the BB containing a noreturn call to the exit block of
> > the function, so that nothing sinks below it by accident.
>
> Just to be clear, it'd have to keep that sort of edge for all call
> sites, unless it can prove that the call target does not call exit?

Yes.

/* Add fake edges to the function exit for any non constant and non
    noreturn calls (or noreturn calls with EH/abnormal edges),
    volatile inline assembly in the bitmap of blocks specified by BLOCKS
    or to the whole CFG if BLOCKS is zero.

    The goal is to expose cases in which entering a basic block does
    not imply that all subsequent instructions must be executed.  */

> // ptr_a and ptr_b are NoAlias, ptr_a holds 0 to begin with.
>
> ThreadA:
>   while(true) { store volatile i32 42, i32* %ptr_b }
>   store atomic i32 42, i32* %ptr_a
>
> ThreadB:
>   %val = load atomic i32, i32* %ptr_a
>   assert(%val is not 42)  // The store is "guarded" by an inf loop
>

> We can't reorder the store to ptr_a to before the infinite loop.  The
> volatile store is there to make the infinite loop well defined.

These do not have hidden control flow. It is actually well defined it just
literallly involves other instructions :)

Note that gcc will optionally connect the infinite loop itself to the exit
block with a fake edge if you want
(you can add/remove fake edges on a per-opt basis).