[llvm-dev] AArch64 testsuite buildbots timeout

Bill Seurer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 15 14:03:47 PDT 2016

On 07/15/16 14:50, Renato Golin wrote:

> On 15 Jul 2016 8:36 p.m., "Bill Seurer via llvm-dev"
>  >
>  > On 07/14/16 08:50, Diana Picus via llvm-dev wrote:
>  >>
>  >> Some of our AArch64 bots have started timing out while compiling
>  >> SingleSource/UnitTests/Vector/AArch64/aarch64_neon_intrinsics.
>  >>
>  >> On clang-cmake-aarch64-quick the failure first appears between r275337
>  >> and r275351, and on clang-cmake-aarch64-full it appears after r275352,
>  >> so there's isn't a clear culprit for this. I suspect we have been
>  >> slowly approaching that threshold for a while.
>  >>
>  >> Both Renato and I are currently travelling, so we can't investigate
>  >> this until Monday. I can't really think of any temporary solution
>  >> other than bumping the timeout threshold, but IIUC that would affect
>  >> all the bots.
>  >
>  >
>  > I have a couple of powerpc bots that on occasion time out as well.
> It doesn't happen very often and I have been trying to tweak things to
> avoid it but it is still an ongoing issue.
>  >
>  > At least a few of the factories have the ability to override the
> timeout setting on a per-slave basis.  See the SanitizerBuildFactory and
> LLVMCMakeBuildFactory factories for instance.  Perhaps it is time to add
> this to all (or at least more) of the factories.
>
> It'd also be interesting to know why we're slower on that range. I
> wouldn't like to make it easier for people to tune the timeout, or we'll
> end up regressing on compile time too much without noticing.

In the past I looked into the timeouts a bit and in many cases the time
to run the particular test varied a lot from well under the specified
limit to somewhere over it.  When I ran them singly they never failed so
I just attributed it to interactions between all the other stuff that
was running slowing things down.
--

-Bill Seurer