[llvm-dev] Preventing LLVM from optimizing out a variable

Pieb, Wolfgang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 15 10:33:28 PDT 2016

How about making your FAKE_USE instruction take a lot of arguments and return the first one? Then you could have the return instruction depend on it.

That would work for function level locals and parameters, but if you include nested locals it would extend their lifetime all the way to the end of the function. I’d be hesitant to do that because of performance/excessive spills etc.