[llvm-dev] RFC: Coroutine Optimization Passes

Gor Nishanov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 15 07:17:36 PDT 2016

Hi Vadim

> Can't this transform be performed entirely in the front-end?

Absolutely it can. But, such a coroutine becomes unoptimizable. Once
split, we lose SSA-form, don't see the control flow clearly. The
wonderful property of the proposed approach is that a coroutine stays
intact looking like a normal function for as long as possible. We let
the optimizer to clean it up, doing constant propagation, constant
folding, CSE, dead code elimination, heap allocation elision, etc.

The frontend does not have the tools to make coroutines efficient.

Cheers,
Gor