[llvm-dev] [PM] I think that the new PM needs to learn about inter-analysis dependencies...

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 14 19:58:58 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Sean Silva" <chisophugis at gmail.com>
> To: "Hal Finkel" <hfinkel at anl.gov>
> Cc: "Xinliang David Li" <davidxl at google.com>, "llvm-dev"
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>, "Davide Italiano"
> <dccitaliano at gmail.com>, "Tim Amini Golling"
> <mehdi.amini at apple.com>, "Sanjoy Das"
> <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com>, "Pete Cooper"
> <peter_cooper at apple.com>, "Chandler Carruth" <chandlerc at gmail.com>
> Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:48:44 PM
> Subject: Re: [PM] I think that the new PM needs to learn about
> inter-analysis dependencies...

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Hal Finkel < hfinkel at anl.gov >
> wrote:

> > Hi Sean,
>

> > Thanks for writing all of this up. I'll go back to my previous
> > position: we need a general dependency graph built as the analysis
> > cache is used. It should have the following properties:
>

> > 1. When we call getResult or getCachedResult on an analysis
> > manager,
> > we record a dependency of the current pass on the returned result.
>
> > 2. This dependency needs to be stored such that it can be used to
> > invalidate the current result when the returned result is
> > invalidates and so that the dependency can be deleted when the
> > current result is invalidated.
>

> > As I understand the problem, this is a fully-general solution. I
> > see
> > no reason not to have a fully-general solution.
>

> Yeah, the mechanics of maintaining this fully general mapping are
> straightforward in the abstract (once we have a single analysis
> manager for all IRUnitT's). Essentially, the analysis manager
> maintains a stack of ( Analysis, IRUnit) that it is currently
> computing and pushes/pops the stack as it (re-)enters/exits
> get{,Cached}Result. If the stack is not empty (suppose top of stack
> is `(AnalysisFoo, IRUnitBar)`), then when we go to push
> `(AnalysisBaz, IRUnitQux)` we record a dependency that the result
> cached on key `(AnalysisBaz, IRUnitQux)` must be invalidated if the
> result cached on key `(AnalysisFoo, IRUnitBar)` is invalidated.

> The difficult part is what guarantees we provide about things being
> stale or not and how we invalidate when IRUnit's are deleted or
> created.
> For example, suppose a function pass DCE's a call which causes an SCC
> Foo of 3 functions to no longer be an SCC. When/how do analyses
> cached on Foo get invalidated? And is it valid to query them? One of
> the expected use cases (I'm told) for CGSCC passes is to propagate
> function-attribute like things, so these are being potentially
> queried by that same function pass.
I don't understand this example. Just because the function removes the call edge, theoretically breaking the SCC, will that automatically trigger an update of the CG data structure? I'd think that the CG itself won't be updated until the function pass is done (during which time the old CG will still be a valid over-approximation).

-Hal