[llvm-dev] [RFC] ASan: Reify all information relevant for diagnostics

Kostya Serebryany via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 14 14:32:54 PDT 2016

[Sorry for delay, I was OOO. ]
+kuba, who did something related in the past. (
http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project?view=revision&revision=218538)

My major concern is the added complexity and code maintenance cost.
You are trying to implement a feature for which I never felt any need,
so for me this sounds like "huge extra complexity for no benefit".
Obviously, since you are working on it, your users need it (or you think
they do :).

I am not enthusiastic but let's look at the individual patches.
Some thoughts:
  * if something is not asan-specific, put it into sanitizer_common so that
we can reuse it in ubsan/tsan/msan.
  * try to avoid any extra memory allocation or system calls while
reporting a bug to stderr.
    Keeping the bug reporting machinery reliable is the 1-st priority.

--kcc