[llvm-dev] [PM] I think that the new PM needs to learn about inter-analysis dependencies...

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 12 23:39:40 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:34 PM Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:32 PM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yea, this is a nasty problem.
>>>
>>> One important thing to understand is that this is specific to analyses
>>> which hold references to other analyses. While this isn't unheard of, it
>>> isn't as common as it could be. Still, definitely something we need to
>>> address.
>>>

>> We can call this type of dependencies (holding references)
>> hard-dependency. The soft dependency refers to the case where analysis 'A'
>> depends on 'B' during computation, but does not need 'B' once it is
>> computed.
>>
>> There are actually quite a few examples of hard-dependency case. For
>> instance LoopAccessInfo, LazyValueInfo etc which hold references to other
>> analyses.
>>
>> Problem involving hard-dependency is actually easier to detect, as it is
>> usually a compile time problem. Issues involving soft dependencies are more
>> subtle and can lead to wrong code gen.
>>

> Did you mean to say that soft-dependency problems are easier to detect? At
> least my intuition is that soft-dependency is easier because there is no
> risk of dangling pointers to other analyses.

The issue is that the fact that there is *any* dependency isn't clear.

However, I think the only real problem here are these "hard dependencies"
(I don't really like that term though). For others, only an analysis that
is *explicitly* preserved survives. So I'm not worried about the fact that
people have to remember this.

The question is how often there are cross-data-structure references. David
mentions a few examples, and I'm sure there are more, but it isn't clear to
me yet whether this is pervasive or occasional.

And even then it isn't clear how onerous explicitly managing this in
invalidate overrides will be.