[llvm-dev] [PM] I think that the new PM needs to learn about inter-analysis dependencies...

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 12 18:15:22 PDT 2016

With D21921 and a couple other pending patches, we now have the full LTO
pipeline converted to the new PM. I was trying it out on test-suite and
SPEC2006. Yay!

This email is about one issue that I ran into testing the pipeline on
test-suite. The issue arose in the wild as an interaction between lcssa and
gvn. But the issue is extremely general.

What happened is that BasicAA uses TargetLibraryInfo. If it makes a change,
then LCSSA marks BasicAA as preserved (if it made no change, it would
preserve all). The new PM then invalidates everything not marked as
preserved by LCSSA. So it does not invalidate BasicAA but it does
invalidate TargetLibraryInfo. Now BasicAA is holding dangling pointers to
TargetLibraryInfo. GVN then goes to query BasicAA and things explode.

I don't think this is going to be maintainable. Essentially, it requires
all passes to be aware of the transitive dependencies of every analysis
they preserve and manually preserve all dependencies. And if an analysis A
starts using a new analysis B, then every pass that preserves a pass that
transitively depends on A must be updated or else there are use-after-free
bugs. Not to mention out-of-tree passes.

Perhaps the worst part is that without some sort of transitive preservation
(or the opposite, transitive invalidation (with the transitivity in the
opposite direction)) these sorts of bugs are a dynamic property of both the
pass pipeline and the code being run on. For example, the reproducer I
reduced for this particular bug involved a situation where:
1. A pass had to preserve BasicAA
2. lcssa would make a change and thus only preserve a subset of passes (if
it made no changes it would have preserved all)
2. then LICM and MergedLoadStoreMotion had to run and make no changes (and
hence preserve all).
3. then GVN had to run and query BasicAA

(presumably LICM or MergedLoadStoreMotion didn't make a query to BasicAA,
or that query ended up not accessing the dangling TargetLibraryInfo).

How should we solve this? I see two potential solutions:
1. Analyses must somehow list the analyses they depend on (either by
overriding "invalidate" to make sure that they invalidate them, or
something "declarative" that would allow the AnalysisManager to walk the
transitive dependencies).
2. The AnalysisManager must do a somewhat complicated dance to track when
analyses call back into it in order to get other analyses.

Any other ideas? Any thoughts about how best to fix this?

For those interested, a reduced test case is
/home/sean/pg/release-asan/bin/opt -debug-pass-manager
'-passes=require<aa>,invalidate<targetlibinfo>,gvn' -aa-pipeline=basic-aa
$1 -disable-output

target datalayout = "e-m:e-i64:64-f80:128-n8:16:32:64-S128"
target triple = "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"

declare void @foo(i32)

define void @sendMTFValues(i32 *%arg) {
entry:
  call void @foo(i32 0)
  %0 = load i32, i32* %arg
  call void @foo(i32 %0)
  ret void
}

This was reduced out of 401.bzip2, but I saw many other failures in the
test-suite due to this issue (for some reason they seem to manifest as the
"!Scanned" assertion in AssumptionCache::scanFunction or a ValueHandle
issue in AssumptionCache (nondeterministically)).

-- Sean Silva