[llvm-dev] Suggestion to Stop Cross Posting Discussions

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 11 01:10:34 PDT 2016

On 9 Jul 2016, at 03:55, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I think having yet another mailing list is a dramatically worse solution than simply fixing our mailing list system to allow subscribers to any of the lists post to all of the lists.

I believe that allowing cross-posting would only solve half of the problem.  We have two issues:

- Some discussions don’t have a single well-defined home.

- Some members of the wider community don’t subscribe to any of the lists because they’re too high-traffic and so miss out on things that are relevant to them

Alex’s LLVM Weekly is currently the closest thing that we have to a solution to the latter one, but it’s unidirectional.  It’s good as a ‘heads up, this is happening in LLVM land’, but it doesn’t give people a good way to say ‘actually, as a downstream consumer this will hurt us a lot, is there an alternative?’

David