[llvm-dev] Implementation of DWARF expression parser

Gwynne Raskind via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 10 00:15:33 PDT 2016

Hi Frédéric and LLVM,

I managed to finally come back to this after quite a while. Frédéric, thank you very much for the pointer to your work; it’s saving me a lot of time!

Unfortunately, I am running into one issue that my knowledge isn’t complete enough to solve on my own yet. The description of D6771 reads, "It requires a few preliminary patches like landing D6243 and adding a MCRegisterInfo in the DWARFContext". The latter, adding an MCRegisterInfo, seems to be a bit beyond me.

Specifically, while I can get a target architecture from a given ObjectFile using getArch(), I’m not sure how to turn this into an MCRegisterInfo (or really anything, such as Target, that could lead to one). My most recent attempt, using TargetRegistry::lookupTarget() to get a Target and then use createMCRegInfo(), fails with a complaint that no targets are registered, and I’m still too new to LLVM’s depths to know what I’m missing. I’m not even entirely convinced this is the right approach. I haven’t found anything from Googling either; almost everything out there is focused on compiling and emitting _to_ a target, working with an existing output file is an oddly sparse area.

So, in the end, my question boils down to: Given an ObjectFile, how can I most effectively look up an MCRegisterInfo appropriate to that file (if any such is known to LLVM in the first place)?

Thanks in advance!

-- Gwynne Raskind