[llvm-dev] missing opt in DAGCombiner ?

Lawrence, Peter via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 5 15:42:02 PDT 2016

I've been surprised by how "over the top" the set of opts in DAGCombiner are,
But here's one that might be missing

                Array[ I + (pointer-difference) ]

Generates  ...   (shl  (sra (sub  pointer1,  pointer2),  2),  2)   ...

Which gets Combined into

                (and   (sub  pointer1,  pointer2),  -4)

But IIUC the C/C++ languages require pointer1 and pointer2 to be addresses of elements in the same array,
So their difference must be (0 mod element-size),
(even if the array itself is somehow misaligned, the difference between elements will be aligned)
so the "SRA" is only shifting out zeros,
So the "AND" by  "-4"  is superfluous

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding something ?!

--Peter Lawrence.