[llvm-dev] Questions on LLVM vectorization diagnostics

Dangeti Tharun kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 4 21:46:43 PDT 2016

Dear Adam Nemet,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:15 PM, Adam Nemet <anemet at apple.com> wrote:

> Hi Dangeti,
>
> On Jun 23, 2016, at 8:20 AM, Dangeti Tharun kumar via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Dear LLVM Community,
>
> I am D Tharun Kumar, masters student at Indian Institute of Technology
> Hyderabad, working in a team to improve current vectorizer in LLVM. As an
> initial study, we are studying various benchmarks to analyze and compare
> vectorizing capabilities of LLVM, GCC and ICC. We found that vectorization
> remarks given by LLVM are vague and brief, comparatively GCC and ICC are
> giving detailed diagnostics.
>

> Yes this is an area that needs further improvement.  We have some
> immediate plans to make these more useful.  See the recent llvm-dev threads
> [1], [2].
>

>    - I am interested to know why the LLVM diagnostics are brief and not
>    intuitive (making them less helpful)?
>
> I think it’s just lack of work or weakness in the analyses to provide more
> detailed information.  It would be good to file bugs for specific cases
> where we fall behind.
>

>    - In our analysis we never seen llvm trying to vectorize outer loops.
>    Is this well known? Is outer loop vectorization implemented in LLVM as in
>    GCC? (http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1454119) If not, is someone
>    working on it?
>

> I heard various people mention this but I am not sure whether actual work
> is already taking place.
>

>    - On the TSVC benchmark suite, out of a total of 151 loops, LLVM, GCC
>    and ICC vectorized 70, 82 and 112 loops respectively. Is the cause for lag
>    of LLVM the inability of LLVM’s vectorizer, or are there any (enabling)
>    optimization passes running before GCC’s vectorizer that are helping GCC
>    perform better?
>

> I don’t know about the GCC but I’ve seen ICC perform loop transformation
> more aggressively that can increase the coverage for loop vectorization.
> ICC performs Loop Distribution/Fusion/Interchange, etc by default at their
> highest optimization level.  We have some of these passes (distribution,
> interchange) but not on by default yet.
>
> Arguably, there is also some difference between focus areas for these
> compilers.  I think that ICC has a more HPC focus than LLVM or GCC.  We
> have Polly which is geared toward more the HPC use cases.
>

>    - Loop peeling to enhance vectorization is present in GCC and ICC,
>    but, the LLVM remarks don’t say anything about alignment. Does LLVM has
>    this functionality and the vectorizer doesn’t remark about it, or it
>    doesn’t it have the functionality at all?
>
> We don’t have it.
>
> About alignment, we tried few examples as below

for(int i = 0; i<N; i++)

{

A[i+3] = B[i+1] + C[i+2]

}

LLVM-vectorizer did not responded with any remark either not-vectorized or
the reason for not vectorizing it. Our team is showing interest in
enhancing vectorizer to support unaligned structures.
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=996853

Are there anyone already working on this?

--
Thank you
D Tharun kumar