[llvm-dev] Updating release docs and minimal tools

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 4 01:48:05 PDT 2016

Folks,

I'm in the process of updating this page:

http://llvm.org/docs/HowToReleaseLLVM.html

which had its last review in the middle ages.

In particular, I'm removing "dragonegg" from the list of requirements,
changing the "build" instructions to use the test-release script (by
pointing it to the right doc [1]), and updating the list of
requirements.

CMake is now required to be 3.4.3 for *all* platforms, and Ninja is
best if 1.5+ (but not required). That's the easy part. But I'm not
sure about the compiler version...

Some of the versions cite gcc 3.4.5 in mingw, which I find hard to
believe, given the recent c++11 additions. It also doesn't mention
MSVC or Clang at all, which is a serious lack of information.

Since I haven't been paying that much attention to the progress (and
my minimum version is GCC 4.8), I'd like for people to chime in on
which versions work where. The versions used to matter across arches
because of basic support, but now, all of that is gone in GCC, and we
only have MSVC to worry about.

Last I remember, Linux (all arches) minimum was 4.7.2, though there
may be some newer developments requiring 4.8.2.

I believe Clang 3.6 was once the minimum on all arches and OSs, but
this may also have changed.

MSVC was once 2012 but may recently have changed to allow more C++11
goodness, and I have no idea about Mingw.

Also, is there *any* pre-GPLv3 GCC in Mac or BSD that can compile
Clang at this day and age?

Please, let me know and I'll update the doc to the appropriate values.

cheers,
--renato

[1] http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseProcess.html