[llvm-dev] cmake: program name prefix?

Johnson, Nicholas Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 26 08:41:53 PST 2016

Thanks, Chris, for your reply.

> I'm a little curious why you want it.

We want to use the clang+llvm toolchain for two different targets: x86-64 and our in-house architectures.  We find it useful to compile these targets into separate binaries for a few reasons:

(1) Our targets use different libc implementations (glibc vs newlib) and must be configured with different sysroots.  AFAICT, DEFAULT_SYSROOT is not a target-specific configuration variable.

(2) Whereas our x86 target is vanilla clang/llvm, our in-house target is more experimental.  It's handy to segregate the experimental features, especially for some of our users who just want to use a stable compiler.

and,

(3) Inertia: this is how we have done it in the past with previous, gcc-based iterations of the toolchain.

Thanks,
Nick