[llvm-dev] lld: ELF/COFF main() interface

Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 22 04:08:27 PST 2016

.

> In case there was any confusion, I don't want to kick anyone out of the
community. I'm trying to make LLD more appealing to more people *within*
the community.

Then code it and show it is not a regression of the current design.

>> I will go back to implementing the linker.
>
> This comes off as really passive aggressive to me, and that makes this
discussion much less productive IMO. It would help me (and I suspect
others) if you could try to change the tone you are using here.

It is not. Having to fight back your push and mischaracterization of the
situation has cost a lot of time, sleep and productivity. In particular, it
is certainly not true when you say:

------------------
During the discussion, there was a *specific* discussion of both the new
COFF port and ELF port continuing to be libraries with a common command
line driver
--------------

Rui's design was explicit enough that this was going to be just a linker to
get me excited about it. If you didn't pick it up you were simply not
paying attention.

I have been tracking llvm since 2007 and I can't remember another situation
as bad as this. Had the project been like this      I would probably have
found something else to do.

In the future if you have something you want but existing developers don't
care about (lld should make coffee), remember the burden is on you to show
that it will not interfere with the rest. It is not OK to push people
saying their work should not be part of llvm if they don't do what you want.

Cheers,
Rafael