[llvm-dev] a question about register allocator

Xiangyang Guo via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 20 06:34:24 PST 2016

Hi, All,

Suppose there are a huge number of registers, for example, 1024 or 4096
registers available, but the IR is relatively small. In this case the
registers should satisfy the register allocation without any spill and
reload. However, I see sometimes there is still spill and reload. I don't
want spill and reload happening in this case. Can I just go to
inlineSpiller.cpp and make function collectRegsToSpill() as an empty
function? I don't fully understand what side effect can be caused. Or is
there any other way to make register allocator not to spill and refill in
this case? Thanks.

Any suggestion is appreciable.

Regards,

Xiangyang