[llvm-dev] Building SVN head with CMake - shared libraries?

Dan Liew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 20 03:13:08 PST 2016

On 19 January 2016 at 18:31, Chris Bieneman <beanz at apple.com> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for looking so deeply at this. I think the fundamental problem is that we still have our infrastructure in an odd state as we’re moving off autoconf.
>
> Brad’s explanation of the component mappings is correct, but with an added complication that we also have LLVMBuild which handles the dependency connections between static libraries. That allows a user to specify the specific components that their project depends on, and our build scripts will also add any components that those components depend on (see: `llvm_expand_dependencies`).

Eh? ``llvm_expand_dependencies()`` shouldn't be used. The only use in
LLVM's tree is being called indirectly via
``llvm_map_components_to_libraries()`` which is marked deprecated (has
been since LLVM 3.5 - we ought to remove it soon). I think
``llvm_map_components_to_libnames()`` to supposed to resolve all the
dependencies.

> In our CMake `llvm_config` and `llvm_add_*` serve very different purposes. In general all the functions and macros that start with “${project}_*” are intended as internal to our CMake, and we really don’t encourage others to call them at all. We also have functions and macros that match the pattern "add_${project}_*" which are intended for use only within a given project, those are generally built on top of the “llvm_add_*” functions.

Our docs say differently. See [1] , we suggest using
``add_llvm_loadable_module()``.

> The intention is that out-of-tree clients (like CastXML) would use llvm_config, which would roughly map to the functionality of the llvm-config command line tool that we’ve used with autoconf. All of these code paths end up using “llvm_map_components_to_libnames", for the actual mapping. Part of the problem here is that we haven’t kept the functionality of that function in parity with the llvm-config tool.
>
> Today the llvm-config tool knows which components get put into libLLVM.so, and knows how and when to map to the shared library. I think that is the missing bit of functionality here. I don’t even think adding that will be hard, we just need to make sure that LLVM_DYLIB_COMPONENTS, and LLVM_LINK_LLVM_DYLIB are both saved of in LLVMConfig.cmake.

The ``LLVM_INSTALL_COMPONENT_LIBRARIES`` option I proposed (and gave a
rough patch for) would also need to be exported but I think
implementing that would be a lot easier after a refactor.

As Brad mentioned we do not want to tell people to move off
``llvm_map_components_to_libnames()`` just because it makes our
refactoring easier. ``llvm_map_components_to_libnames()`` is the
documented public interface since LLVM 3.5 and it would silly to
change it when we can easily avoid it. What I think we need to do is

- Remove ``llvm_map_components_to_libraries()`` and all the dead code
that results from that (i.e. ``expand_topologically`` and
``llvm_expand_dependencies``).
- Rename the current implementation of
``llvm_map_components_to_libnames()`` to
``llvm_map_components_to_module_libs()`` (need a better name for this,
we can't call it ``..._to_static_libnames`` because of the
``BUILD_SHARED_LIBS`` option)
- Implement ``llvm_map_components_to_libnames()`` to have a little
more functionality than before. Internally it may call
``llvm_map_components_to_module_libs()``.

The signature would be something like this. Sorry if I screw up
terminology (i.e. modules, components... I'm not sure what I'm
supposed to use here.)

llvm_map_component_to_libnames(<OUT_VAR> [ DYLIB_ONLY | MODULES_ONLY |
DYLIB_FALLBACK_MODULES ]  <component1> <component2> ...)

The optional ``DYLIB_ONLY``, ``MODULES_ONLY`` and
``DYLIB_FALLBACK_MODULES`` arguments do the following

- ``DYLIB_ONLY`` - If specified will use the monolithic
``libLLVM.so``. If we know that this library was
not built then we throw a fatal error. If one of the requested
components was not built in the library then
throw a fatal error.

- ``MODULES_ONLY`` - If specified will use the modules (e.g.
LLVMSupport.a, etc...). When ``LLVM_INSTALL_COMPONENT_LIBRARIES``
(perhaps rename to LLVM_INSTALL_MODULE_LIBRARIES?)
  is implemented in the future and set to off (i.e. the module libs
won't get installed) throw a fatal error. We may need to be careful
here. The modules libraries are always available from the build tree
but not from the install tree.

- ``DYLIB_FALLBACK_MODULES`` - Try to use the monolithic
``libLLVM.so``. If the library wasn't built use the modules instead.
If some of the components aren't in the monolithic ``libLLVM.so`` then
use the modules for those
(i.e. the libraries returned is a mixture of the monolithic library
and the module libraries).

If neither of the above options are specified then the default in
``MODULES_ONLY`` (i.e. the existing behaviour). However when
``LLVM_INSTALL_COMPONENT_LIBRARIES`` is implemented and if it is set
off (i.e. the modules won't be installed) and then the default changes
to ``DYLIB_ONLY`` when being used from an install tree.

The point of the above is to give the client explicit control if they
want it (e.g. they might always want the monolithic libLLVM.so). The
default works in as many situations as possible.

Does this make sense? If so I'd happily have a go at this but I
wouldn't be able to take a look until next week.

[1] http://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html#developing-llvm-passes-out-of-source