[llvm-dev] Open Projects - Code Generator Improvements #2

Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 18 06:37:32 PST 2016

On 17 January 2016 at 18:32, Thiago Martins via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a student at UFMG, Brazil, and I'm currently choosing my final
> undergraduate project.
>
> I will be working under Professor Fernando Pereira (on cc), and we were
> thinking about tackling Code Generator Improvement number 2 (at
> http://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html).

For reference, that is

Implement 'stack slot coloring' to allocate two frame indexes to the
same stack offset if their live ranges don't overlap. This can reuse a
bunch of analysis machinery from LiveIntervals. Making the stack
smaller is good for cache use and very important on targets where
loads have limited displacement like ppc, thumb, mips, sparc, etc.
This should be done as a pass before prolog epilog insertion. This is
now done for register allocator temporaries, but not for allocas.