[llvm-dev] Query : Profile Guided Basic Block Placement Pass

vivek pandya via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 18 05:22:19 PST 2016

Hello,

Can some one please provide the file name that implements *-block-placement*
pass?

Suggestions required :
I have been reading about Patterson's branch prediction with VRP. So is it
possible to use this prediction information in Pettis and Hansen 's basic
block placement ( -basic-placement pass in llvm ) instead of profile guided
feedback and thus eliminating profiling from -block-palcement pass ?
As far as coding part is concern it requires Patterson's VRP and branch
prediction implementation in LLVM ( I think which is not implemented in
LLVM ) and then modifying -block-placement pass.
This VRP implementation can be used to improve other optimizations too as
mentioned in Patterson's paper.

I am thinking to apply for this as GSoC 2016 project under llvm.org .
Please provide thoughts about this.

Sincerely,
Vivek Pandya