[llvm-dev] Building SVN head with CMake - shared libraries?

Ismail Donmez via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 16 09:53:43 PST 2016

Hi again,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Ismail Donmez <ismail at i10z.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Chris Bieneman <beanz at apple.com> wrote:
>> I’m kinda scared that you’re using it. What are you trying to accomplish
>> that you are using it? Generally having LLVM split among that many
>> dynamically loaded libraries results in significant performance regressions.
>
> When we first switched to cmake it was the only option to produce
> shared libraries, hence we went with it. I am testing with
> -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_LINK_LLVM_DYLIB=ON atm, and will let
> you know if any problem arises.

I am trying to enable this on openSUSE but it seems to break
standalone lldb (note that we don't ship static libs):

cmake -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++
-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-stdlib=libc++ -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLI
B=ON -DLLVM_LINK_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DLLVM_LIBDIR_SUFFIX=64 -DLLDB_PA
TH_TO_LLVM_BUILD=/usr -DLLDB_PATH_TO_CLANG_BUILD=/usr
-DLLVM_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_INTDIR=/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/lldb-3.8.0/buil
d/bin -DLLVM_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_INTDIR=/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/lldb-3.8.0/build/lib64
-DPYTHON_VERSION_MAJOR=2 -DPYTHON_VERSIO
N_MINOR=7 -G Ninja ..

[...]

CMake Error at /usr/share/llvm/cmake/LLVMExports.cmake:1011 (message):
  The imported target "LLVMSupport" references the file

      "/usr/lib64/libLLVMSupport.a"

  but this file does not exist.  Possible reasons include:

  * The file was deleted, renamed, or moved to another location.

  * An install or uninstall procedure did not complete successfully.

  * The installation package was faulty and contained

     "/usr/share/llvm/cmake/LLVMExports.cmake"

   but not all the files it references.

Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/llvm/cmake/LLVMConfig.cmake:178 (include)
  cmake/modules/LLDBStandalone.cmake:76 (include)
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (include)