[llvm-dev] RFC: non-temporal fencing in LLVM IR

David Majnemer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 14 13:10:05 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Hans Boehm via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I agree with Tim's assessment for ARM.  That's interesting; I wasn't
> previously aware of that instruction.
>
> My understanding is that Alpha would have the same problem for normal
> loads.
>
> I'm all in favor of more systematic handling of the fences associated with
> x86 non-temporal accesses.
>
> AFAICT, nontemporal loads and stores seem to have different fencing rules
> on x86, none of them very clear.  Nontemporal stores should probably
> ideally use an SFENCE.  Locked instructions seem to be documented to work
> with MOVNTDQA.  In both cases, there seems to be only empirical evidence as
> to which side(s) of the nontemporal operations they should go on?
>
> I finally decided that I was OK with using a LOCKed top-of-stack update as
> a fence in Java on x86.  I'm significantly less enthusiastic for C++.  I
> also think that risks unexpected coherence miss problems, though they would
> probably be very rare.  But they would be very surprising if they did occur.

Today's LLVM already emits 'lock or %eax, (%esp)' for 'fence
seq_cst'/__sync_synchronize/__atomic_thread_fence(__ATOMIC_SEQ_CST) when
targeting 32-bit x86 machines which do not support mfence.  What
instruction sequence should we be using instead?