[llvm-dev] Windows binaries and LLVM_INSTALL_TOOLCHAIN_ONLY

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 14 08:29:59 PST 2016

Hi Tony,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Tony Kelman via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> This is mostly to Hans since he builds these AIUI, but would be worth
> getting others' opinions too. I'd like to ask whether building the Windows
> binaries *without* LLVM_INSTALL_TOOLCHAIN_ONLY could be considered and
> tried. Would the result be a prohibitive amount larger than the current
> installer? LLVM is an incredibly useful set of libraries and has many use
> cases, including on Windows, beyond just a clang.exe add-in for Visual
> Studio.
>
> For those of us downstream users who consume LLVM as a library and aren't
> doing development on LLVM itself every day, having libraries and headers
> ready to go from a binary download would save a few hours of getting-up-
> and-running time.

This comes up now and then.

Yes, the packages would be a lot bigger, but IIRC the problem is also
that we don't have a good way to build to build LLVM into a shared
library on Windows that's suitable for shipping. I don't remember the
details here; maybe Reid does.

Thanks,
Hans