[llvm-dev] Does LLVM have java frontend?

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 12 01:35:03 PST 2016

It’s also worth noting that a Java front end is largely useless in isolation.  AoT-compiled Java will depend on a load of run-time infrastructure (for GC, cast-to-interface, down-cast, reflection, and so on).  In interpreted or JIT’d Java implementations, these are all highly specific to the JVM implementation (things like the layouts of classes are a bit more portable, but object layouts are very variable.  For example, a lot of JVMs - but not all - put non-pointer fields before the class pointer so that the GC won’t pull them into the cache).

You can have a Java bytecode to VMKit compiler, or a Java bytecode to OpenJDK compiler, but a stand-alone Java compiler in isolation is a largely meaningless concept.

David