[llvm-dev] lld: ELF/COFF main() interface

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 7 17:32:43 PST 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 5:19 PM Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com>
wrote:

> I don't disagree with anything Chandler said, but it's worth noting that
> we *already* have a specialized in-process linker used to MCJIT to resolve
> relocations and patch things like symbolic calls.  It'd be really really
> nice if the new linker library supported that use case.

Yep. But I also think it is reasonable to design the API to support that
use case when we're actually wiring it together and making it work. I think
trying to build an API that we think will support that use case without
actually integrating it into LLVM's JIT is much more likely to end up with
the wrong API, and has a higher chance over-engineering the API into one
more complex than is necessary.

I think that's the concern Rui has here, which seems reasonable.

None of this says that once someone is actually working on doing this
integration we shouldn't figure out the right API and make it happen. We
should. This is another use case that makes total sense.

-Chandler