[llvm-dev] lld: ELF/COFF main() interface

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 7 16:26:52 PST 2016

> On Jan 7, 2016, at 3:59 PM, Arseny Kapoulkine via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> > Why do you want to use that as a library? I don't think "because LLVM and Clang allow that" is not a compelling argument since the linker and the compiler are pretty different programs. I clearly see many reasons to use LLVM and part of Clang as libraries, but they are not directly applicable to LLD. The new linker is more like a command which is built on top of the libraries that LLVM provides.
>
> My specific use-case is that of a compiler with an in-process linker that also runs tests (like Eric mentioned) - so basically a complete ahead-of-time compilation suite in a single process. In my case I *think* it's not prohibitively expensive to invoke a process - it complicates things but does not make them impossible. I started down this path because LLVM and lld allowed that. I had some plans that involved using similar infrastructure in a JIT-like manner (e.g. a REPL that would link the binary and load it), but this is probably better served using the actual JIT.
>
> I think there are environments where invoking a process or exit(1)-ing is absolutely prohibitive. I personally can solve these issues by fork/exec-ing the driver to perfom linking, but I don't quite understand how AMDGPU target can be useful in the new ELF linker since I had the impression that AMD basically uses ELF for the shader binary format, and compilation has to happen inside OpenGL driver (where you *want* to run shader compilation from multiple threads and definitely don't want a linking issue to exit the process in case of a user-mode driver).

Usually you create a new process anyway when integrating within a driver to shield a crash from the compiler linker from the rest of the stack, the same way the clang driver does (usually) issue a new process for the compilation.
(this is not an argument against the library design, which I completely support).

—
Mehdi