[llvm-dev] [GlobalISel] A Proposal for global instruction selection

Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 7 11:47:02 PST 2016

Hi David,

I had a quick look at the inttoptr/ptrtoint thing for GlobalISel and unless I am mistaken the semantic you want for such instructions do not match what the language reference says.

Indeed, you said that inttoptr instruction is not a no-op on your architecture, whereas the language reference says:
“The ‘inttoptr‘ instruction converts value to type ty2 by applying either a zero extension or a truncation depending on the size of the integer value. If value is larger than the size of a pointer then a truncation is done. If value is smaller than the size of a pointer then a zero extension is done. If they are the same size, nothing is done (no-op cast).”

The bottom line is that IMHO, if you rely on inttoptr/ptrtoint instructions to do the conversion from fat pointers to plain integers you are abusing the IR.
I plan to stick to the LLVM IR semantic for the generic opcode of GlobalISel and thus, it does not seem useful to have INTTOPTR like nodes around.

For instance, AArch64 has the TBI feature to deal more efficiently with fat pointer when accessing memory and the masking operations are explicitly set in the LLVM IR and later combine with the memory accesses.

Anyhow, this is just a heads-up, we will see in due time what we can do here.

Cheers,
-Quentin