[llvm-dev] lld: ELF/COFF main() interface

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 7 09:06:07 PST 2016

Designing it a command makes things simpler because you can safely assume
that most functions always success, or otherwise the entire process
terminates. You can defer the operating system to clean up all resources
that was used by the process however it fails (with a few exceptions such
as temporary files.) I actually like to use the linker as an external
command since the operating system provides good isolation between my
process and the linker which could fail by an unknown bug or something.
Rewriting all of them as functions that return ErrorOr<Something> is
technically doable, but it needs strong justification, so I guess that
unlikely to change.

Why do you want to use that as a library? I don't think "because LLVM and
Clang allow that" is not a compelling argument since the linker and the
compiler are pretty different programs. I clearly see many reasons to use
LLVM and part of Clang as libraries, but they are not directly applicable
to LLD. The new linker is more like a command which is built on top of the
libraries that LLVM provides.