[llvm-dev] Proposal for multi location debug info support in LLVM IR

Keno Fischer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 4 12:11:14 PST 2016

Thanks for your comments. Replies inline.

> The DWARF 5 standard says that
> "Address range entries in a range list may not overlap.”
>
> The reasoning behind this is presumably that if a variable is in more than
> one
> location at a point all the values need to be identical, or the
> information is useless

Oh huh, for some reason I was under the impression that they could. No
matter, all we would have to do then is choose one in the backend. I think
it makes sense to maintain the notion of separate multiple locations until
then.

> >     - To add a location with the same value for the same variable, you
> pass the
> >       token of the FIRST llvm.dbg.value, as this llvm.dbg.value's first
> argument
> >       E.g. to add another location for the variable above:
> >
> >         %second = call token @llvm.dbg.value(token %first, metadata
> %val2,
> >                                             metadata !var, metadata
> !expr2)
>
> Does this invalidate the first location, or does this add an additional
> location
> to the set of locations for var at this point? If I want to add a third
> location,
> which token do I pass in? Can you explain a bit more what information the
> token
> allows us to express that is currently not possible?

It adds a second location. If you want to add a third location you pass in
the first token again.
Thus the first call (key call) indicates a change of values, and all
locations that have the same value should use the key call's token.

> >     - To indicate that a location will no longer hold a value, you do the
> >       following:
> >
> >         call token @llvm.dbg.value(token %second, metadata token undef,
> >                                   metadata !var, metadata !())
> >
> >     - The current set of locations for a variable at a given instruction
> are all
> >       those llvm.dbg.value instructions that dominate this location (
> >       equivalently all those llvm.dbg.value calls whose token you could
> use at
> >       that location without upsetting the Verifier), except that if more
> than
> >       one key call is dominating, only the most recent one and all calls
> >       associated to it by first argument count.
> >
> > I think that should encapsulate the semantics, but here are some
> consequences
> > of and comments on the above that I think would be useful to discuss:
> >
> >     - The upgrade path for existing IR is very simple and just consists
> of
> >       adding token undef as the first argument to any call in the IR.
> >
> >     - In general, if a value gets removed by an optimization, the
> corresponding
> >       llvm.dbg.value call can be removed, unless that call is a key
> call, in
> >       which case the value should be undefed out. This is necessary both
> to be
> >       able to keep it around as the first argument to the other calls,
> and more
> >       importantly to mark the end point of a previous set of locations.
>
> So if %val is optimized out in the following example:
>
>   %first = call token @llvm.dbg.value(token undef, metadata %val,
>                                       metadata !var, metadata !expr)
>   %second = call token @llvm.dbg.value(token %first, metadata %val2,
>                                        metadata !var, metadata !expr2)
>
> Does this turns into:
>
>   call token @llvm.dbg.value(token undef, metadata %undef,
>                              metadata !var, metadata !expr)
>   %second = call token @llvm.dbg.value(token %undef, metadata %val2,
>                                        metadata !var, metadata !expr2)
>
> Or do we still have a %first token, or does the key call get removed
> entirely, because
> the second one is now a key call?

I think the situation is the following:
If %second is the only use of %first, we can do that optimization. If not
and %second dominates all uses of first, we could also do this optimization
and replace all uses of %first with %second. However, we cannot remove the
actual first key call, because it denotes the end location for the previous
value of the same variable. Two exceptions I could think of are if %first
is the first call for that variable in the function (as then there can not
be a previous range to terminate) or if there are no other calls or memory
operations in between %first and %second, in which case we could hoist
%second up and merge the two calls. Does that make sense?

> >     - I think llvm.dbg.declare can be deprecated and it's uses replaced
> by
> >       llvm.dbg.value with an DW_OP_deref. That would also clarify the
> semantics
> >       of the operation which have caused some confusion in the past.
>
> I think we could already remove it today without any loss of generality (by
> lifting any dbg.value whose first argument is an alloca into the MMI
> table).
> What I see this proposal adding is a way to mark the end of a range, which
> is important when a value is on the stack only for part of the function (as
> in the stack coloring example).

Agreed!

> >     - We may want to add an extra pass that does debug info inference
> (some of
> >       which is done in InstCombine right now)
>
> What kind of inference does InstCombine do currently?

I was thinking of replacing llvm.dbg.declare by appropriate llvm.dbg.value
at each load/store.
In the new design that would essentially be an inference pass which would
add those as
locations, with the original one only removed if the alloca actually gets
lifted into registers.