[llvm-dev] Add support for in-process profile merging in profile-runtime

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Feb 28 10:45:37 PST 2016

> [...]
> Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> writes:
> > One of the main missing features in Clang/LLVM profile runtime is the lack of
> > support for online/in-process profile merging support. Profile data collected
> > for different workloads for the same executable binary need to be collected
> > and merged later by the offline post-processing tool.  This limitation makes
> > it hard to handle cases where the instrumented binary needs to be run with
> > large number of small workloads, possibly in parallel.  For instance, to do
> > PGO for clang, we may choose to  build  a large project with the instrumented
> > Clang binary. This is because
> >
> > 1) to avoid profile from different runs from overriding others, %p
> >    substitution needs to be specified in either the command line or an
> >    environment variable so that different process can dump profile data
> >    into its own file named using pid.
>
> ... or you can specify a more specific name that describes what's under
> test, instead of %p.
>
> yes -- but the problem still exists -- each training process will need its own copy of raw profile.
>

> >    This will create huge requirement on the disk storage. For
> >    instance, clang's raw profile size is typically 80M -- if the
> >    instrumented clang is used to build a medium to large size project
> >    (such as clang itself), profile data can easily use up hundreds of
> >    Gig bytes of local storage.
>
> This argument is kind of confusing. It says that one profile is
> typicially 80M, then claims that this uses 100s of GB of data. From
> these statements that only makes sense I suppose that's true if you run
> 1000 profiling runs without merging the data in between. Is that what
> you're talking about, or did I miss something?
>
> Yes. For instance,  first build a  clang with -fprofile-instr-generate=prof.data.%p, and use this instrumented clang to build another large project such as clang itself. The second build will produce tons of profile data.
>

> > 2) pid can also be recycled. This means that some of the profile data may be
> >    overridden without being noticed.
> >
> > The way to solve this problem is to allow profile data to be merged in
> > process.
>
> I'm not convinced. Can you provide some more concrete examples of where
> the out of process merging model fails? This was a *very deliberate*
> design decision in how clang's profiling works, and most of the
> subsequent decisions have been based on this initial one. Changing it
> has far reaching effects.
>
> I am not proposing changing the out of process merging -- it is still needed. What I meant is that, in a scenario where the instrumented binaries are running multiple times (using their existing running harness), there is no good/automatic way of making sure different process's profile data won't have name conflict.

Could the profile file be named from a hash of the profile data themselves?

Even with that I still like the direction you're heading to. To avoid contention on the "file locking", could there be a pool of output files? I don't know how to map a new process to one output file without a lock somewhere though.

--
Mehdi