[llvm-dev] Possible soundness issue with available_externally (split from "RFC: Add guard intrinsics")

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 26 20:15:57 PST 2016

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Chandler Carruth" <chandlerc at google.com>
> To: "Hal Finkel" <hfinkel at anl.gov>
> Cc: "llvm-dev" <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>, "Philip Reames"
> <listmail at philipreames.com>, "Duncan P. N. Exon Smith"
> <dexonsmith at apple.com>, "Xinliang David Li" <xinliangli at gmail.com>,
> "Sanjoy Das" <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com>
> Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 10:04:44 PM
> Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] Possible soundness issue with
> available_externally (split from "RFC: Add guard intrinsics")

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 7:59 PM Hal Finkel < hfinkel at anl.gov > wrote:

> > > From: "Chandler Carruth" < chandlerc at google.com >
> >

> > > To: "Hal Finkel" < hfinkel at anl.gov >
> >

> > > Cc: "llvm-dev" < llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org >, "Philip Reames" <
> > > listmail at philipreames.com >, "Duncan P. N. Exon Smith" <
> > > dexonsmith at apple.com >, "Xinliang David Li" <
> > > xinliangli at gmail.com
> >

> > > Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 9:41:23 PM
> >

> > > Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] Possible soundness issue with
> > > available_externally (split from "RFC: Add guard intrinsics")

> > > I am *extremely* uncomfortable waiting to fix this until merging
> > > stuff is in place and we add privatization heuristics to our IPO
> > > passes. Those might be years away.
> >

> > I'm *extremely* uncomfortable fixing this at all unless it can be
> > done without causing performance regressions. The underlying basic
> > use case (linking together code compiled with different
> > optimization
> > levels), is certainly something I'd like to work properly, but is
> > definitely a far lower priority than optimized code quality and
> > size.
>

> Ok, I prioritize this differently: it is absolutely critical. Every
> binary I have includes files that fit this description. Every single
> binary.

> I think that we will discover subtle miscompiles every time we try to
> make function attributes more powerful until this is fixed. I think
> this is absolutely critical to fix.

> I'm fine if you want an option to enable unsafe behavior here, but I
> think we have to have an option that provides correct results and I
> frankly think it should be the default.
I'm fine with this (i.e. there must be an option to turn it off).

> > Furthermore, you agree that there is a technical solution that
> > satisfies these requirements (placing functions into their own
> > hashed comdat sections),
>
> No, I think that is a significant overstatement. I think that this
> would require a pretty sizable amount of work to get the size
> regression to be tolerable. I don't know how much work, nor when it
> could be done.
Why would there be size regressions? Are there section alignment padding concerns?

> > and I don't see why this is not relatively-straightforward to
> > implement, and so if we want to fix this bug, we should implement
> > it. In the common case (where everything is optimized at the same
> > level), I don't see why it has any additional overhead. We should
> > be
> > able to privatize aggressively under this scheme.
>
> I don't have any confidence in our ability to perfectly merge
> privatized routines. Maybe you do, but I genuinely do not how to do
> it with sufficient reliability today.

> I have ideas about how to get a *good* approximation that I think
> will recover much of the penalty. But I think it would still need a
> size threshold....
Can you explain your concerns about reliability? My idea is that we have a kind of delayed-name comdat section attribute that says that the name of the comdat section into which the function will be placed will be based on the hash of the contents (which should probably be the pre-isel IR-level contexts plus perhaps the other state that might affect backend optimization). Maybe just using the MI-level function contents will work too. It seems like this should be "perfect". I don't see the circumstances why function definitions optimized under identical optimization settings should differ in this sense.

Doing further, since our optimizations should be deterministic, we might even be able to just hash the optimization level information and other relevant attributes (which could affect TTI), and then be done with it.

Thanks again,
Hal