[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 26 07:05:44 PST 2016

On 25 February 2016 at 21:24, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> 1) Actually push a clone of the test suite onto github and sort out any
> boring details of getting the hosting of it working[1].

Is this going to be a move or a copy with auto-update from the current git repo?

The former is simpler in the long run, but may disrupt some people and
automated processes.

> 2) Figure out some initial practices (with enforcement if available) for
> keeping the github master clean.

Depends on how you doing step 1. Again, moving will make this trivial.

> 3) Propose the mechanical "how will this work" with accompanying
> documentation update to the LLVM webpages in a new thread, and make sure
> folks are happy with the concrete mechanics at least as an initial cut

If you're moving, I'd think you should do this step first.

If not, someone will have to bear the cost of updating until we get to
a consensus.

> Naturally, the last step is going to be last, and has an enormous *IF* in
> front of it. =] No actual patches to it (other than testing this whole
> system) will happen on github, etc.

The test-suite repo is low-traffic enough that this will probably be
an easy migration.

> I'm not going to be doing all of this myself, unsurprisingly. I think I know
> a few people who would be willing to help, but if other LLVM contributors
> are interested in helping with the #1 - #3 stuff, just lemme know and I'll
> try to make sure everyone has access to the github bits. At least up through
> #3 I'm not really worried about anything as its just an experiment.

This tells me you're not moving, but maintaining a separate copy. :)

I'd be glad to help. My GitHub username is (unsurprisingly) rengolin.

cheers,
--renato