[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 25 07:34:03 PST 2016

On 25 February 2016 at 15:01, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Well, PRs are a good way to discuss proposed patches, so you can take the
> discussion there. Particularly if the git hoster gives you all the web forum
> thingies you want, including the ability to be helpful with Markdown.
> Also, a PR is easy to integrate once it's done.

Phabricator, for better or worse, has all those qualities.

> On the git side of things, you need to make sure that history isn't
> rewritten official branches such as master.

Someone mentioned server-side hooks, I think that settles the problem.

> On many projects, people still go through PRs even if they have direct write
> access. Simply to make sure that a second pair of eyes have looked at the
> code before it goes in.

With the amount of commits we have (~100 / day), that would be
impossible. But we still do that with Phab on the more complicated
bits.

We're aware of the benefits of code review, etc. I was wondering if
you had some technical issues with git not being suitable. It seems
there isn't anything particularly broken, that some hooks can't fix.

> For that, public git hosting services are a no-brainer.
> You need to look at permissions because you can't simply set up gitolite,
> you have to live with whatever the service offers.

That's a small cost, I'd say. And we can always move providers later
on, which is a lot simpler with git than SVN.

> The GitHub "flow" isn't the right one for every project, so the tooling does
> matter.

As a first step, we're not planning on following the GitHub flow, just
using the GitHub storage and bandwidth. :)

cheers,
--renato