[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 25 04:05:39 PST 2016

On 25 February 2016 at 11:54, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:
> GitHub offers  a simple *raw* git hosting. All the fork&pull-request is sugar in the web interface. You don't *have to* use it.

I mentioned this below. I was referring how GitHub *expects* to be used.

> This is why git has "hooks": for example https://gist.github.com/stefansundin/d465f1e331fc5c632088
>
> You can prevent from rewriting the history on the server side, which eliminate risk of "accidents". (You can have a whitelist of people allowed to rewrite the history...).

Right, this solves most of the problems.

> Not sure how this part relates to git/github/svn?

It relates to having a separate repository. The administration cost of
adding new committers, tags, branches is linearly proportional to the
number of repositories, with the addition complexity of them being
decoupled.

Specifically for the releases, we need to make sure that the commit on
the test-suite that gets tagged for a release is the one supposed to
be, not just the tip of the tree. If we allow non-linear history, this
gets more complex.

Luckily, the test-suite is low traffic enough that this won't be a
problem often.

cheers,
--renato