[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 12:57:44 PST 2016

Subject kinda says it all. Here is my rationale:

The test-suite is really weird relative to the rest of the LLVM project:
1) It contains all manner of crazily licensed code.
2) We don't really care about the history at all. Any concerns around
linear history or bisection are pretty much irrelevant.
3) We don't ever plan to have LLVM code move into or out from the test-suite
4) Its already big, and really should be much bigger. We shouldn't have
incentives to keep stuff out of the test suite because of size, hosting
cost, or anything else.

For all of these reasons, and also because I'd like to see how well (or
rather, how poorly) a service like GitHub actually works for the project,
it seems like splitting the test-suite out of the current subversion
repository and moving it there is the right call.

When I chatted with folks on the board, this made sense to them as well,
and I've made sure we have a reasonable LLVM organization set up on GitHub
and all the board members are on it: https://github.com/llvm (I think only
my membership is public at the moment).

There is still plenty to figure out about how to manage this on github, but
before doing anything else I just wanted to shoot an email and see if folks
like this idea.

Thanks!
-Chandler