[llvm-dev] Performance degradation on ARMv7 (cortex-a9)

Bradley Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 02:42:21 PST 2016

Hi,

The idea behind that change was to make ARM.td clearer, that is, adding architecture features to new architecture subtarget features, and to have the CPUs inherit from this. ProcA9 (and similar) from what I could tell were only being used for their enum value in making codegen decisions, hence I moved all of the features they inherit over to the actual CPUs for clarity, the idea being that all features a given target uses come from a combination of the architecture it inherits from and the target itself, not any intermediary features like ProcA9.

I’m not aware of any place where ProcA9 is getting used to get subtarget features like this, and after a quick look I still can’t find anything. Where exactly are you seeing ProcA9 being used to get features? Even so, the cortex-a9 processer model itself inherits FeatureFP16 now so I would expect it to use FP16, unless you’re not using cortex-a9 directly? (In which case all CPUs that used to inherit ProcA9 now need to inherit all of the features ProcA9 used to inherit as well as ProcA9, which is what I did in the change you mention).

Regards,
Bradley Smith