[llvm-dev] which ir instructions have name

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 12 07:55:14 PST 2016

Names are optional and have overhead - we usually try not to emit names
(Clang produces IR with names in an Asserts build, but otherwise it omits
them - there's not as much of that logic in the LLVM optimizers, so even
starting with a non-Asserts Clang output you'll still find the optimizers
introduce names for instructions)

At some point we would want to try to more fully remove the construction of
named instructions in the IR in non-Asserts builds across the stack, it's
just overhead we want to avoid in production execution.