[llvm-dev] [RFC] Lanai backend

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 23:50:16 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Pete Cooper via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2016, at 10:24 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>
> wrote:
>
> You've raised an important point here Pete, and while I disagree pretty
> strongly with it (regardless of whether Lanai makes sense or not), I'm glad
> that you've surfaced it where we can clearly look at the issue.
>
> The idea of "it really should have users outside of just the people who
> have access to the HW" I think is deeply problematic for the project as a
> whole. Where does it stop?
>
> While I may have the theoretical ability to get access to an AVR, Hexagon,
> MSP430, SystemZ, or XCore processor... It is a practical impossibility.
> There is no way that I, or I suspect 95% of LLVM contributors, will be able
> to run code for all these platforms. And for some of them, I suspect it is
> already the case that their only users have access to specialized, quite
> hard to acquire hardware (both Hexagon[1] and SystemZ come to mind).
>
> You’re right.  I don’t even have access to a 486 which we probably support.
>
> My point was just that I thought this would be our first backend for which
> it is impossible for anyone to use.  It may be hard for me to get an
> MSP430, but I *can*.

This actually got me curious really how difficult it is for each of LLVM's
backends, so I did an `ls` in lib/Target and here is what I know of as far
as getting a machine that you can run your own code on:

AArch64/ - obvious
AMDGPU/ - obvious
ARM/ - obvious
AVR/ - just get an arduino (e.g.
http://store-usa.arduino.cc/products/a000066)
BPF/ - run linux on most any hardware I think?
CppBackend/ - can we delete this :)
Hexagon/ - e.g. https://developer.qualcomm.com/hardware/dragonboard-810
($500)
MSP430/ - e.g. https://store.ti.com/msp-exp430fr5969.aspx (< $20)
Mips/ - e.g. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardYun or even your
friendly WRT54GL router.
NVPTX/ - obvious
PowerPC/ - lots of stuff in the embedded space for relatively cheap (e.g.
100's of $). If you have deep enough pockets you can buy servers.
Sparc/ - If you have deep enough pockets Oracle will sell you servers. You
can probably find something workstation-y on ebay (talk to netbsd folks
apparently http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/sparc/
http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/sparc64/). You can also probably synthesize
OpenSPARC for an FPGA setup in the <$10,000 range.
SystemZ/ - If you have deep enough pockets IBM will sell you one.
WebAssembly/ - You can probably pull some sort of bleeding edge V8 or
Mozilla repo. (being developed in the open, so "obvious" I guess)
X86/ - obvious
XCore/ - There are dev boards for <$200
http://www.xmos.com/support/boards?product=18230

This ignores all the issues of ISA subsets that we support. E.g. right now
I don't think it's possible to buy an x86 with AVX512 (but Skylake server
is coming soon), and some of the more esoteric ISA subsets for e.g. the
supercomputer PPC stuff or the high-end MIPS stuff (e.g. the chips used in
cellular base stations) are probably in SystemZ territory to get ahold of.

-- Sean Silva