[llvm-dev] [RFC] Lanai backend

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 15:14:26 PST 2016

It'd be be super-exciting if everyone working on random LLVM backends
pushed their targets upstream, and then did their development on ToT! If
this proposal would catalyze other organizations to submit their backends
upstream as well, that would seem like a huge win.

I'd expect the benefit of having developers of such targets all working
upstream to very much outweigh the usually minor cost of updating it for
other codegen changes.

That only holds as long as there *is* an active maintainer, of course. If a
target actually becomes deadweight, it should be removed as soon as
possible.