[llvm-dev] [RFC] Embedding Bitcode in Object Files

Steven Wu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 6 18:03:31 PST 2016

Hi Kevin

That is a very good concern and we have ways to address the issue in our bitcode implementation to achieve similar something similar to ‘strip’ (hiding unnecessary symbols and debug info). It wasn’t in the proposal because we would like to get the basics in before diving into something more detailed and controversial.
Here is a short description about how we deal with the issue. Our implementation requires linker support which runs a ‘Linkage-Unit’ pass that consistently rename all the symbols and metadata that are not exported. This has to be done after resolving all the symbols. We would be happy to upstream our implementation if it is beneficial.

Thanks

Steven