[llvm-dev] lld dynamic relocation creation issue

Adhemerval Zanella via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 4 05:11:21 PST 2016

On 03-02-2016 19:50, Rui Ueyama wrote:
> We are refactoring the relocation generation code, but currently Writer::scanReloc adds relocation entries for the dynamic relocations. If "Out<ELFT>::RelaDyn->addReloc({&C, &RI});" is not called for your relocation, then no dynamic relocation will be created for that.
>
> What do you currently get? You didn't see any dynamic relocations for R_AACH_ABS64 relocs, do you?

Current there is no dynamic relocation creation for R_AARCH64_ABS64, which leads
to invalid shared objects due invalid relocation against .{init,fini}_array.

If I specifically set needsDynRelative to return true for R_AARCH64_ABS64 in
PIC/PIE and set RelativeRel to the expected type (R_AARCH64_RELATIVE) I do see
dynamic relocation being generated, with wrong target:

Relocation section '.rela.dyn' at offset 0x4d8 contains 10 entries:
  Offset          Info           Type           Sym. Value    Sym. Name + Addend
000000002000  000000000403 R_AARCH64_RELATIV                    0

Disassembly of section .init_array:

0000000000002000 <__frame_dummy_init_array_entry>:
    2000:       000010e8        .word   0x000010e8
    2004:       00000000        .word   0x00000000

00000000000010e8 <frame_dummy>:
    10e8:       a9bf7bfd        stp     x29, x30, [sp,#-16]!

The R_AARCH64_ABS64 relocation will be place in '.init_array' section, but its
value '0x10e8' (which points to the frame_dummy) should be used instead as the
r_addend of the R_AARCH64_RELATIVE (because libc itself does not consider the
value of the relocation itself, just the map address plus the dynamic relocation
addend value).

That's why I need to instruct a dynamic creation not in scanRolocs, but rather
in relocateOne with the correct value of R_AARCH64_ABS64 to use it as the
addend of the dynamic R_AARCH64_RELATIVE. And my doubt is exactly on how to
design it on lld, where all the dynamic relocation are only create before
any actual relocation computation.

My first idea is to add a method 'InputSectionBase<ELFT>::addDynamicReloc'
and then pass the InputSection on TargetInfo::relocateOne, but I am not
sure if it would desirable.