[llvm-dev] [RFC] Error handling in LLVM libraries.

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 3 15:19:33 PST 2016

Hi Philip,

> Separate from the discussion on how we represent errors, we need to
decide what errors we want to detect, which we try to diagnose, and which
are recoverable.  Each of these is a distinct design decision.

Absolutely. This proposal should be interpreted with that in mind - it
gives us a better toolkit for describing certain kinds of errors, but it
should not be shoehorned into situations where it does not fit.
Programmatic errors are an obvious example: they should remain hard errors
(asserts/report_fatal_error/llvm_unreachable).

On MCJIT/Orc - I'm glad the current situation hasn't caused you too much
pain, but other clients have complained about it. I think the key
observation is that neither MCJIT nor ORC assume that the bit code they're
compiling is in-memory. That means that both should be able to report
"resource not available" errors (e.g. when JITing bitcode off a network
mount that has temporarily dropped out). This problem has become especially
acute now that we have library support for remote-JITing: Any call to any
lazily compiled function may fail due to resource drop-outs, and we should
be able to report that to the user to give them a chance to try to recover
and re-try compilation.

On the commitment front: The driving use case for me currently is the llvm
object-file tools and LLD, but I know that proper error handling in the JIT
is something I want to tackle in not-too-distant future, so having a
toolkit to deal with it is a big step in the right direction.

- Lang.