[llvm-dev] opt with Polly doesn't find the passes

Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 3 08:06:19 PST 2016

On 02/03/2016 04:46 PM, Frank Winter via llvm-dev wrote:

> On 02/03/2016 10:41 AM, Tobias Grosser wrote:
>> On 02/03/2016 04:37 PM, Frank Winter wrote:
>>> Hi Tobias,
>>>
>>> I tried to invoke other passes and none of them are available, e.g.:
>>>
>>> ~/toolchain/install/llvm-3.8/bin/opt -load
>>> ~/toolchain/install/llvm-3.8/lib/libPolly.so -polly-cleanup
>>>
>>> opt: Unknown command line argument '-polly-cleanup'.  Try:
>>> '/home/fwinter/toolchain/install/llvm-3.8/bin/opt -help'
>>> opt: Did you mean '-polly-tiling'?
>>
>> I assume -polly-cleanup still shows in -help-hidden?
>
> No, it doesn't show. It never did. It looks to me that only the clang
> options show in -help-hidden but not the passes. Can that be right?

No, it can not. Interesting observation.

>>> I am just shooting around hoping to get a clue what's going on...
>>>
>>> On thing.. I recall reading the polly documentation that there was the
>>> option to link opt statically with the polly library which I did not
>>> select. But that's likely not the problem since a lot of polly options
>>> are apparently there.
>>>
>>> Out of ideas for now.
>>
>> This is surprising, indeed.
>>
>> The option is: LINK_POLLY_INTO_TOOLS:BOOL=ON. It might be worth giving
>> it a try.
>>
>> What ubuntu version are you on precisely? I can try the 3.8 branch
>> tonight myself.
>
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x86-64.

Thanks. If you have cycles to try a LINK_POLLY_INTO_TOOLS:BOOL=ON build
on your side, this would be great.

Another data-point that might be of help is to just run the script at
http://polly.llvm.org/get_started.html to install everything. This
installs trunk the way it is tested and run by us day-to-day (myself
using Ubuntu x86-64). This should be the most basic test that should work.

Best,
Tobias