[llvm-dev] [RFC] Error handling in LLVM libraries.

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 2 20:11:03 PST 2016

Hi Hal,

However, regarding context, I wonder about the best model. When we designed
> the diagnostic reporting interface (by which I mean the bits in
> include/llvm/IR/DiagnosticInfo.h and include/llvm/IR/DiagnosticPrinter.h),
> the ability to carry context was very important. There, however, because
> the objects are being passed via a callback to the user-installed handler,
> they can carry pointers/references to objects (Values, Functions, etc.)
> that will go away once the object that detected the error is destroyed. In
> the model you're proposing, all of the context must be contained within the
> error object itself (because, by the time the context is useful, an
> arbitrary amount of the call stack to the error-detection point has already
> been unwound). This greatly limits the amount of information that can be
> efficiently stored as context in the error object. Depending on the use
> cases, it might be better to pass the context to some kind of error-handler
> callback than to try to pack it all into a long-lived error object.
> Thoughts?

I think this is one of the trickiest problems when designing an error
return for C++. In garbage-collected languages you can attach all sorts of
useful things and the reference from the error value will keep them alive.
In C++ any non-owning reference or pointer type could be pointing into
space by the time you reach the error handler (from the library's point of
view).

I think the best you can do here is document the pitfalls and provide
guidelines for designing error types. Kevin and I noted the following two
relevant guidelines while discussing exactly this problem:

(1) Errors should not contain non-owning references or pointers.
(Preferably, errors should only contain value types)
(2) New error types should only be introduced to model errors than clients
could conceivably recover from, or where different clients may want to
format the error messages differently. Any error that is only useful for
diagnostic purposes should probably use a class along the lines of:

class DiagnosticError ... {
  std::string Msg;
  void log(ostream &os) { os << Msg; }
};

Given the parallels with exceptions, I suspect many of the same design
guidelines would apply here.

I'm also not averse to mixing diagnostic streams with my system where they
make sense - I think it's always a matter of choosing the right tool for
the job. I just need a solution for the error recovery problem, and
diagnostic streams don't provide one. :)

Cheers,
Lang.