[llvm-dev] LLVM/clang vs. GCC: Warning Parity.

Anmol Paralkar (anmparal) via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 1 16:26:20 PST 2016

Hi,

 I attempted to gauge warning parity between LLVM/clang 3.8.0 (early Jan trunk) and GCC 5.3.0 using the DejaGNU suites: gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg and gcc/testsuite/c-c++-common
 PFA, the tabulated results. These are still preliminary - it is possible that there exist equivalent LLVM/clang warning options to be used instead of the GCC warning options I used.

 I'd appreciate receiving feedback and if these are indeed gaps, is the community aware of them and are they being addressed?

 I also need input on the documentation to be used for LLVM/clang warning options; for, unlike GCC's:

 https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-5.3.0/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning-Options
 http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html#options-to-control-error-and-warning-messages

 - is not as exhaustive.

 Thanks very much.