[llvm-dev] [canonicalization] GEP 0, 0

Piotr Padlewski via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Dec 25 04:40:59 PST 2016

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 10:17 PM Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 10:02 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 3:30 PM Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Piotr Padlewski via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Davide Italiano via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Piotr Padlewski
> <piotr.padlewski at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Dec 23, 2016 19:47, "Daniel Berlin" <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:
> >
> > Define soon?
> > My guess is 1 year or less.
> > (I've already seen patches to start converting most remaining memdep
> uses,
> > like memcpy opt, licm, etc)
> >

> > That's good. Anyway I already have a patch that is doing invariant group
> > dependence across BBs, so I guess it make sense to push it upstream to
> push
> > the bar higher.
> > But I think we are getting a little bit of topic - should gep 0 be
> > canonicalized to bitcast?
> >

> Are memdep/memssa the only possible passes that could benefit from
> such a canonicalization or you can think of other cases when this can
> be useful?
>

> We already canonicalize.  We canonicalize in the other direction:
> https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/master/
> lib/Transforms/InstCombine/InstCombineCasts.cpp#L2024
>

> Intresting. So what is the right solution here? I can easily add handling
> of gep 0 to GVN, or maybe the code that you mentioned should be in SROA.
> If SROA is the only user of this transformation and I there are quiet a
> few passes that it hurts, then I would propose moving this logic to SROA
> and always canonicalize gep 0 to bitcast.
>

> +1
>
> This canonicalization seems like it's unlikely to help other passes, and
> definitely makes handling more complicated elsewhere.
>

> -1
> ;]
>
> I think it is very useful to be able to canonicalize on GEPs rather than
> bitcasts.
>

> Based on what?
>

> TBH, no hard data at all. Just my experience poking at passes that cared
> about this and the advice I received from others when hacking on them.
> Sorry if anything I wrote came off as some kind of firm, or unwavering
> position, it was more that I'm not sure the proposed change is good. It
> might be, but I'm not sure yet. See below for more details though.
>

> I would teach things to understand GEPs with zero indices, it's pretty
> easy (we have tools to automate it).
>

> So your position is that we should teach literally everything to
> understand something new, instead of canonicalize in the direction
> literally everything understands already?

> [...]

Ok I get your point.
- If every gep 0, 0 would be bitcast, then we would still need code to
handle all constant geps that would handle this case, but we also need code
to handle bitcasts that will be gone some time
- if we stay with gep 0, 0 then places like GVN that doesn't handle it
right now should probably handle all constant geps anyway, so it doesn't
matter in which form it is.

I didn't investigate how hard it would be to handle geps 0 or constant geps
in GVN, but at least for handling of invariant groups it required 2 lines
of code. I did look a little bit into SROA and I don't see a clear solution
to handle bitcasts for SROA yet, so it also might be argument against
bitcasts (but I also not familiar with SROA and didn't spend enough time on
it).
When do we expect to deploy typeless pointers?

@dannyb are you fine with me writing this small hotfix for invariant group?

Piotr