[llvm-dev] llvm/cuda: Indentify kernel functions and optimizations

Gurunath Kadam via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 21 14:29:48 PST 2016

Hi,

I am trying to instrument CUDA kernel functions only (llvm-3.9.0).

Is there a way to identify cuda kernel functions?

I see that in llvm IR for CUDA has nvvm annotations section, where kernel
functions are identified for NVPTX usage. I can parse the whole IR for this
kernel metadata and then proceed, but this is very clumsy.

Other way is to work with cuda-device-only IR. But then I am not sure how
to run this cuda-only-IR, as this contains cuda-device specific code and
not rest of the host-device code.

In NVPTXBaseInfo.h, the function attributes are defined, along
with PROPERTY_ISKERNEL_FUNCTION. How can this be used to identify the
kernel function?

Thanks.

-Gurunath